Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Friday 21 August 2009

Query about connecting iPhone to TV (via DVD...?)

Recently I spotted that there are two packs of AV cables for iPhones and iPods. One cable set is composite video, the other component video.

My TV (an old CRT - I made an audioboo of it humming) has only SCART and aerial sockets so I certainly can't use the cables to connect my iPhone to it.

However my DVD player has all manner of sockets which the cables would fit.

I suspect the answer is 'no' but is it possible to connect the iPhone to the TV indirectly using the DVD? (iPhone + AV cable => DVD player, + SCART => TV)

The reason I think it isn't possible is because it's not clear to me how the DVD would know to send the component cable inputs to the SCART and on to the TV...?

It's not that I particularly need to connect my iPhone to the TV it's just that I'm curious to see if it could be done this way.



3 comments:

  1. You can connect your i-phone to tv by follow these steps.
    Connect the AV cable to the Iphone and tv (not included with the iphone).. On the iphone go to settings and turn on tv out. Set the appropriate setting on the the tv (input). The iphone won't display everything on the tv just video through the Ipod player and videos on you tube.


    http://www.zoombits.co.uk/camera-accessories/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you watch net flecks that way? With my I phone through my dvd player? ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous - I don't believe it's possible to use the DVD ports to mediate between the iPhone and the TV, no. However I've not tried it and don't know for sure. I might just have to find out ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).