Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Car adverts - they're usually pretty good on the music front

I can't actually drive (had a few lessons, not for me) but if I could I'm not sure how much help car adverts would be in making a decision about which one to buy. They pretty much never include any information that's of use, beyond the price, and rely on tapping into our emotions as we imagine ourselves hurtling down some dramatic road as opposed to stuck behind someone on a dual carriageway.

This means they tend to look and sound fairly cinematic / dramatic and often use really good music. That's all they seem to have in their favour as far as I'm concerned. Here are some ones that I've really enjoyed.

Peugeot 208 - Let your body drive.

I am officially in love with Tom Bennett who plays both roles (unless he also has a twin brother) in this. 


Range Rover - Born Free


Audi RS6 Quattro - Bull


BMW "It's only a car" - Philip Glass' Pruitt Igoe from Koyaanisqatsi


U.N.K.L.E. rejig Beethoven's 9th symphony


Volkswagen Night Drive Golf - with Richard Burton reading from Under Milkwood


Lexus 220d - water droplets


Lexus 250 Diesel - reminds me of Jean-Michel Jarre


This is what a Honda feels like - in which a choir does all the sound effects


Honda (Hate something, change something)


Volkswagen Polo - nice use of a bit of the Fauré requiem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).